Saturday, August 21, 2010

Verdant Shravan...

Well, this blog is dedicated to an abstract concept... the verdant month of Shravan is running... and I could not resist writing a post on it... Its one of those adorable times of the year and my personal favorites :) it falls in the period July-August of Hindu lunar calendar... It is considered as the most sacred month of the Chaturmasa... But what I like the most is nature's bounty witnessed during this time... Light showers... an occasional rainbow... the hide and seek between Sun and rain droplets... the verdant carpet... the seasonal flowers... its simply ethereal and pleasant...

I am now away from Goa, my hometown for job. But, I can never forget the wonderful years spent there during this time... Goa and the entire Konkan belt becomes a green pastoral delight post the rains... As far as you can see, its greenery everywhere with nice colorful flowers...the Ghats, small knolls and valleys are vistas to behold... This month has a lot of religious and cultural significance in the Hindu religion. Auspicious ceremonies are held by communities and families alike... There are a whole lot of festivals celebrated in this month - be it Raksha Bandhan, Narali Poornima, Naag Panchami, Gokul Ashtami... Apart from these there are the weekly days like Sharavani Somvaar, mangalvaar... and almost every single day of the week! But whatever it is, the atmohsphere is fraught with vibrant hues and spirits... there is hope and rejoicing amidst much fanfare...Since its the harvest season, many practices are associated with nature and the likes!

This month also finds its mention in popular folk lore, metaphorical poems, epics, songs and almost every other art form... Perhaps more than the month, its a feeling of revival after the torrential rains...a respite after the scorching summers and the heavily raining period...Its somewhat of a moderate period slowing down the forces of nature, relaxing and giving a vent for enjoying the beauty around. It also marks the start of the festive quarter lasting till the year end... So there is even more frolic and excitement.

We would especially practice a custom on Shravani ravivaar. You worship the Sun God by placing a thali of a variety of different leaves and flowers found during this month. I remember, I would nicely decorate it and show a prasad of "Patoli" - a popular Goan sweet of atta batter and coconut/jaggery concoction. I would really enjoy this custom and always looked forward for it. We still do it; but now with the fast pace life the enthusiasm has taken a back-seat... but the spirit lingers on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment