Was just seeing the numerous posts/pictures/themes/lyrics and what not related to Independence Day on Orkut, facebook, et al. And couldn't stop thinking whether the users really mean it in the least! Are national holidays like these only meant to be remembered annually and forgotten for the remaining 364 days of the year??? How many of those who open up on these days can actually relate to the essence of what being Indian is...
If you ask me, India resides within us in day-to-day life... In the buzzing cities we work, in the villages/towns we live, on the roads we travel, in the rich art and culture we possess, among the national monuments which are testimony to the bygone era, to the ethnic textiles, crafts and artifacts available around us, to the cross-cultural festivities we participate in and so much more. Being and feeling Indian is more of a way of life than anything else... Even though many people try their level best to retain this Indian fervour within themselves... they can be called as the true patriots who live through it and pass it on for progeny... Hats off to them!
Just two weeks back, I happened to finish the timeless classic - Jawaharlal Nehru's Discovery of India and was left being truly overwhelmed... During the 90s, this book was made into a tele-series named as "Bharat Ek Khoj" and aired on DD-national. Even as a child, I was always inspired and awestruck to watch those segments on the history of India. I still vividly remember the starting ending tracks of the series which were verses from the Vedas. It was then that I had thought of reading this classic; finally I accomplished the same!!!
I have a passionate wish... that someday I can explore the rich and varied potpourri of cultures has to offer... Hope to travel across the breadth and length of the country and see the magnificient places within its boundaries... the geographical vistas, the epithets in stone, the mute spectators of historical events and in turn feel connected with what is truly "Indian" in spirit and lore... I know, it may just sound as an impractical whim considering the fast-paced lives we lead... But if one wishes to, there is nothing to stop you. Its a dream I long cherish... Lets see how far I go!
Pic: A floral display depicting India Gate at the National Flower Show, Aug 2010 held annually at the famous botanical garden, Lal Bagh - Bengaluru.
No comments:
Post a Comment